The Vegan Oven

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

More Cheese Please!

Most vegans I know say they miss cheese the most. Or that cheese was the hardest thing to give up. Todays request just so happened to be cheese enchiladas. Yum!!









I kind of just winged it and put in what I thought would be delicious. Ingredients used: tortillas, black beans, refried black beans, pinto beans, enchilada sauce (store bought :x), morning star chicken strips, and Soy-Sation cheddar cheese. I've never used this cheese before so I was skeptical, but not only did it taste just fine, it melted! To my delight it also shreds well.



I put some sauce and shredded cheese in a sauce pan over light heat. In a separate bowl I mixed some sauce, cheese, black beans and pinto beans. I had a baking pan ready to go, sprayed it with some cooking spray and also spread some of the cheese sauce mix around the bottom. On a tortilla I spooned some of the sauce and bean mixture into it. I shredded a bit more cheese on, tossed in some pre-heated morning star chicken strips, rolled it up, and put it in the pan. After filling the pan with a few more I poured the rest of the cheese sauce on top. I pre-heated my oven to 350 and put the enchiladas in for about 15 minutes.



I wanted to have some Spanish rice on the side. With limited time I opted for a box mix. I chose Whole Foods brand organic Spanish Style Rice. This takes about 20 minutes to cook once mixed. I thought it was a little bland at first, only because I prefer my rice to be pretty spicy, but it was actually quite good and even better when eaten with the enchiladas. This will make about 4 cups of rice, I had plenty left over.



Another delightful, protein filled meal!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home